Thursday, June 20, 2024

Another person arrested and charged for the deadly shooting incident at Cangrejo Caye


A fifth person has been arrested and charged with the deadly shooting incident which occurred on October 2nd at Cangrejo Caye area near San Pedro Town resulting in the death of Jerry Espat. On Monday, October 18th, 31-year-old Carlos Salazar, a fisherman of the San Mateo subdivision was formally charged for the crime of Murder, Attempted Murder, Use of Deadly Means of Harm, and Wounding.

Carlos Salazar

Salazar joins Gabriel Villafranco, brothers Pedro and Serio Tun and Delson Paguada, also accused of being involved in the Cangrejo Caye shoot-out. On October 5th, Villafranco was arraigned for the charges of Murder, Attempted Murder, Use of Deadly Means of Harm, and Wounding. The Tun brothers were arraigned for the charges of (2) counts of Attempted Murder, (2) counts of Use of Deadly Means of Harm, and (1) count of Grievous Harm.

On October 12th, Paguada was arraigned at the San Pedro Magistrate Court for the charges of Attempted Murder, Grievous Harm, Use of Deadly Means of Harm, and Wounding. He handed himself over to the police accompanied by an attorney. Paguada had been allegedly on the run for days. The handful of accused islanders will be at the Kolbe Foundation-Belize Central Prison until January 5, 2022, when they return to court.

The deadly shoot-out

Jerry Espat

According to an official report from police, Jerry, 25, and his three brothers 27-year-old Luis Enrique Santoya, 23-year-old Ricardo Anthony Espat, and 26-year-old Kirian Espat from the San Pedrito area of San Pedro Town were out fishing on Saturday, October 2nd when they were approached by two boats carrying a group of men. Santoya reported that one of the men from the approaching boats pulled out a firearm and fired several shots towards him and Ricardo. As a result, Santoya received a gunshot wound to his body, below his left knee. The armed attacked continued, resulting in the death of Jerry, who according to Kirian was shot several times in the back. Kirian was grazed to his right cheek and abdomen. Santoya and Ricardo managed to get away from the area in their boat, pursued by the gunmen. When they got back to the island, they were treated at the Dr. Otto Rodriguez San Pedro Polyclinic II. Santoya was airlifted to Belize City for further medical attention. A search began for Jerry, but his lifeless body was not found until the following day.

Read more


Please help support Local Journalism in Belize

For the first time in the history of the island's community newspaper, The San Pedro Sun is appealing to their thousands of readers to help support the paper during the COVID-19 pandemic. Since 1991 we have tirelessly provided vital local and national news. Now, more than ever, our community depends on us for trustworthy reporting, but our hard work comes with a cost. We need your support to keep delivering the news you rely on each and every day. Every reader contribution, however big or small, is so valuable. Please support us by making a contribution.

Local News